[Foundation-l] Wikipedia disclaimers

Sebastián González daleboca782 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 15:39:58 UTC 2008

The issue has been discused a year ago, when it was tried to make
"Biographies of living people" an official policy at
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Discusi%C3%B3n:Votaciones/2007/Biograf%C3%ADas_de_personas_vivasHowever,
I did not explain in full detail such things because I realize
those are local issues and I did not want to bother with topics wich are
trivial for this channel. The main topics of Wikimedia projects being under
US law or not and if disclaimers have to say X things or can be made up as
users like, is worth being asked here; if this or that proposal should be
official policy at X or Y project, is not. In fact, I'm not even interested
in fair use, my main topics of edit are about history, and I can work very
well with paintings in PD.

I'm not hiding my username. I'm Belgrano at that project, and before the
username change I was Thialfi. I simply couldn't figure out how to configure
things.

Out of topic: I did consider posting the topic in there for discussion.
However, the most likely outcome of that would be the first administrator
thinking that the request is correct ad adding the text to the disclaimer,
and later one of the users who refuse to mention the the projects being
under US law would accuse me of trying to deceive he first administrator and
introduce sneak changes without it being noticed. So, before posting in
there I wanted to make sure if it's really a topic subject to local
consensus or if there is a global and official stance. I asked at the forum
in Meta (considering it would be a project-wide type of question), and from
there I had been redirected here. I doubt I would post more mails here
anyway unless redirected again, it's a complicated system and I prefer the
village pumps or talk pages. I know, those are internal issues of no concern
here, I just wanted to explain myself. I think the answers received are
enough to understand the situation I asked in the first place, so this
thread can be finished.