[Foundation-l] On Arabic and sub-language proposals.

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 20:05:47 UTC 2008

Hoi,
The question is what makes a resource respectable. When a Wikipedia
represents a substantial body of work for that language, it is relevant and
when the text is well written it is even respectable. When the yardstick is
the comprehensiveness of the English Wikipedia, there is no way that most of
our projects will get to such a level.

When you ask for a list of people that propose projects, I am glad to say
that there is none. When you have been involved with ensuring that the
conditions are right for new projects like I have been, you know that
certain individuals are eager to see many projects started. They are
motivated people and typically they are happy to contribute a lot. I have
less problems with these people then with the anonymous cowards who propose
new languages. They are a total waste of time. Some proposals like the
"Lebanese" proposal are stirring up emotions while they have no chance at
all given that the request does not reflect the language as described and,
there are no people effectively supporting this proposal.

The projects that started after the implementation of the language policy
are all doing moderately well. When their communities grow, when the amount
of content grows, the number of articles will grow as well. I personally do
not care for the number of articles as a yardstick in any way. Certainly
numbers like 10.000 or 50.000 before it can be called a Wikipedia is a
certified way of preventing any new languages. If anything it is a great way
of proving the existing bias that can be found in our Wikipedias.
Thanks,
        GerardM