[Foundation-l] Two tests for the freeness of activities related to project content

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 09:00:23 UTC 2008

Hoi,
When you conflate impoverished and principled readers, you are talking about
two distinct demographics. The issue is that modern software requires modern
hardware and when there is no money for software, chances are that the
hardware is substandard. This is not the case for "principled" users. They *can
and do *buy the hardware to run the latest and greatest software.

An impoverished reader might use skype, a principled reader would not. One
group is about cost to them and the other is about principles. Politically
it is expedient to make these group seem to be as one. They are not. It is
for instance known that Microsoft prefers people to use their software
illegally then to have them use other software. It is for this reason that
the argument that copyright violation is stealing is a lie; when Microsoft
truly believed this, it would fight illigal software everywhere equally and
this does not happen.

Free software and free standards are very much to be preferred; they create
a level playing field and they ensure innovation better then proprietary
principles will ever do. Please keep the arguments sane, impoverished is not
principled, conflating them makes for a poor argument.
Thanks,
       GerardM