[Foundation-l] Freedom, standards, and file formats

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 21:05:04 UTC 2008

Brion, you are talking as a chief of technical staff of one small NGO.
Please, keep in mind that you are the main technical person of the
biggest achievement of humans. While it is inside of the reasonable
solutions, Wiki[mp]edia doesn't need to adopt anything which is
ethically not acceptable.

* Showing movies may be solved by VLC or whichever free software plugin.
* It seems that SVG is better format than SWF. However, it is not supported yet.

But, "interactive content" written in Flash is useful for video games
and a very small specter of other content. Interactive content will be
really useful when SVG would be adopted.

Also, I may see that Erik Zachte made good dynamic statistics without
using Flash (and without SVG, as far as I understand).