[Foundation-l] Thank you (Re: Kudos for Walter!)

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Fri Oct 3 13:21:06 UTC 2008

Thank you everybody for your sign of appreciation.

It is appreciated :)

Wikizine did not turned out like I intended, hoped, it would evolve. My
hope was to receive news from the many of the hundreds of language wikis
and different projects. And to gather a stable group of core editors to
work with on the newsletter.

And so creating a very good newsletter at a stable rate with truly news
from all the projects and languages.

Wikizine does get reports from people of different languages and
projects and assistance but those are very few and always from the same
few people. I say explicitly thank you to those people.

The translation projects of Wikizine are also very fragile.

I am very well aware that Wikizine is not as good as it could, should
be. Wikizine is more English language projects centric then I would like
it to be. That comes mostly because due of the language barrier I have
no direct access to most wikis.

Also the news in Wikizine is often already old when it is discovered by
me. That does not stop me from reporting it but it is not ideal. What
also can be problematic for getting the best result is that I not always
truly understand the topic I am reporting about.

Despite this I am nevertheless very happy to make it to number 100 and
also with this issue itself that I find is of an acceptable quality.

In the last months I seriously doubted of I would be able to get there.
And of if I made it to 100 of I would use it to end Wikizine at a nice
round number.

The problem is not a lack of time like Effeietsanders wrote, although
that sounds better, but a decrease of interest. That comes mainly
because I think; why am I doing this? Does anyone actually cares? And
then again getting the motivation for making once more a new edition of
Wikizine.

Because of this I value your signs of appreciation posted here to
convince myself it has some use what the people who make Wikizine are
doing and to continue with it.

There will be a Wikizine number 101. That can I promise you.

The new goal that I have with Wikizine is to try to keep up the current
level of quality and to try get a publication rate of at least 2
editions a month. That is realistic and possible I believe.

Thank you.

Walter

http://www.wikizine.org/

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community