[Foundation-l] Old newspapers going to destruction

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Oct 2 19:52:18 UTC 2008

2008/10/2 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> 2008/10/2 Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com>:
>
>> An Irish study gives the neat - but high! - estimate that to digitise
>> two years worth of a single newspaper title would take about one year
>> and ten staff at a cost of ~300,000 EUR, of which 10% would be capital
>> investment. I suspect with software automation this could be heavily
>> reduced.
>> www.askaboutireland.ie/resources/OCR_DigitisationAndTranscriptionOfNewspapers.pdf
>
> How much would just raw scans cost?

I suspect on the order of $1-2 a page - the same as the US scans are
getting - with the conversion and OCR run as a batch job on the whole
set. Goodness only knows who's doing the indexing...

This is outsourcing, anyway - the Irish one seems to be an entirely
in-house project, which would presumably explain the high costs.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk