[Foundation-l] EN Wikipedia Editing Statistics

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 18:12:30 UTC 2008

Wow, someone had more than 10,000 edits in February of 2002.

Does it look to anyone else like the first five months of 2007 and 2008 were
very busy, followed by a drop for the rest of the year? If that is whats
happened, any theories as to why?

Nathan

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 5:32 AM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:

> Because myself and others have been frustrated by the lack of good
> stats on the number of active editors on the English Wikipedia, I have
> compiled some stats on the editing frequency on enwiki:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Editing_frequency
>
> I am going to forgo any extensive analysis for now.  But I will say
> that these trends mostly mirror trends seen elsewhere, with a peak in
> early 2007 followed by a decline and then leveling out as we go
> towards the present.
>
> In September, 130,000 registered users and 525,000 anons made at least
> one edit to an article.  If you define "active editors" as those
> making at least 20 article edits per month then 14000 registered users
> and 6000 anons met that threshold in September.
>
> -Robert Rohde

Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia Foundation
today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate