[Foundation-l] Trouble in Ireland

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 12:01:09 UTC 2008

2008/11/27 Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com>:

> If we could get something that reads the searches and tabulates the most frequently not found articles, we could better target our account creation efforts.

Hence my suggestion on wikitech-l :-)

Logging referers as well as the name of the page hit wouldn't load the
current logging significantly. Only logging referers that are in
article space or Special:Search (with the search) would guard against
most possible privacy problems. (Greg Maxwell noted that people may
enter private identifying data into Special:Search which would then be
logged. Possibly might warrant a warning note on Special:Search.)

What it needs now is someone writing code to log and to analyse and
present the logs, and the code being approved ;-)

- d.