[Foundation-l] A local chapter without Wikimedians

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia-inc.com
Wed Nov 26 23:47:14 UTC 2008

Porantim wrote:
> The problem don't is people with no edits participate of the chapter, the
> problem is deny editors to participate.

Porantim, I hear what you are saying and I agree with you.  There should
never be a chapter which denies that participation of editors.  I'll go
even further: there should never be a chapter, particularly a new
chapter, which is not put together and managed by the local editing
community (with of course the welcome assistance of people who don't
enjoy editing but do enjoy doing all the other things that a chapter
will do.)

I am sure that Thomas agrees, based on conversations that we had, and if
he doesn't, then I will work to change his mind.  When I spoke with him,
he did not want to be the leader of the chapter, and he spoke a lot
about how it should take some time to form the chapter properly.

I can't read Portuguese, so I can't really find out how communication
broke down.  But my only goal in all this is to encourage everyone to
talk openly in a friendly way because as far as I can see, everyone
agrees on all the important points.

--Jimbo