[Foundation-l] Trademarks

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia-inc.com
Wed Nov 26 12:44:25 UTC 2008

George Herbert wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> No what is wrong with wikipedia brand dog food (provided that we receive a cut?)?
>
> See standard discussion of whether we want to accept advertising
> onsite.  Same general logic.

Of course, Wikipedia brand dog food is a pretty far-fetched idea, and as
such might not provide the most interesting thought experiment for us to
feel our way forward to an understanding of the values that we want to
uphold.  No one is likely to want to do Wikipedia brand dog food in the
first place, and the puzzlement that consumers would feel over what it
is about ("the dog food that anyone can edit"? "Imagine a world in which
every single dog on the planet..." :-)) would be substantial.

Tougher calls and more interesting thought experiments might involve
products that people might actually be interested in making and selling
(perhaps even successfully!).

(I am just randomly brainstorming to pose a few interesting challenges.)

1.  Wikipedia books - these have been done in Germany with some success,
but imagine this being done on a massive scale, hiring some people in
the community, but also being done in part by people we never met.

2.  Wikipedia television quiz program - with some sort of wiki flair and
with educational segments about our projects and goals in the developing
world... but what if the program *itself* isn't freely licensed?
(That's part of the thought experiment.)

3.  Wikipedia series of documentaries - like National Geographic
programs - these are to be produced in the old fashioned way, with large
budgets, and will be run on television (perhaps on a pay channel like
HBO) and then subsequently revenues are expected from DVD sales.  There
is no community collaborative production.  But the end product will be
proprietary for 5 years and then released under a free license.

--Jimbo