[Foundation-l] Site Notices Phase 2 - Annual Fundraiser 2008

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Wed Nov 26 06:05:24 UTC 2008

Casey Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Rand Montoya <rmontoya at wikimedia.org>wrote:
>>
>>> The Quotes site notice will have 6 different quotes (all translated, we hope) rotated in.
>>>
>> I don't know - I think it would be interesting, at least on the English
>> Wikipedia, to see some quotes in other languages. It would reinforce to the
>> people who see quotes in Chinese or Russian that Wikimedia is an
>> international project with broadly global goals.
>>

> Normally I would agree with you.  Last year, I was *all* for putting
> as many language quotes on the sitenotices as possible.  However, if
> we are only going to have 6 quotes and they are going to be show-cased
> in such a large way (as opposed to a little line below the "people
> mover"), we should probably have them in the local language.

Well, given that we're doing comparison testing on other details, it
seems like we could also use that to settle whether Nathan's or Casey's
interpretation is more in line with how donors respond. The only hangup
might be that there's quite a few questions we'd like to test, they're
best done in isolation from each other, and we only have so much time to
run them.

--Michael Snow