[Foundation-l] Trademarks

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Nov 26 00:04:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Anthony writes:
>
> > I guess what I didn't understand was that you were using the term
> > "freedom
> > of speech" to mean an absolute bar on the restriction of speech.
>
> This is not what I was using the term to mean.

Then you haven't answered how the requirements of trademark maintenance and
the interests of freedom of speech are in conflict.

> The way I understand it, rights cannot be in
> > conflict (or tension), and any seeming conflicts (or tensions)
> > between your
> > rights and the rights of another are simply a misunderstanding of
> > one or the
> > other right.
>
> Are you just making this up off the top of your head?

Is that an appropriate response?  Surely one of your "assume good faith"
memes would be appropriate here, wouldn't it?

> Wow, I'd say the exact opposite is true.  I'd say the meme of
> > assuming good
> > faith, especially as it has mutated to be used quite commonly by
> > Wikipedians
> > (to discourage criticism), is a meme which promotes other memetic
> > viruses,
> > not one which inoculates against them.
>
> That's a wonderfully misanthropic, cynical view. I imagine you're
> quite proud of it.

Again a very educated and informative response.  I see you've incorporated
the "ad hominem" meme quite well.

> > Well, like I said, not something I'm interested in arguing with you
> > about.
> > It's not my problem, it's your problem.
>
> Seriously, since (a)  you think I walk around thinking of you as
> "little people," and (b)  I know that is not how I think,  it seems to
> me to be the converse -- a problem for you, not for me.

You mischaracterize what I think.