[Foundation-l] 2008 Annual Fundraiser - Going into Phase 2

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 23:03:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Ral315 <wiki.ral315 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm completely speculating here, but maybe the reason we're doing so well so
> far is that, I'd imagine, a significant portion of our readers are in the
> tech sector (at least compared to most non-profits), where job cuts haven't
> yet become as widespread as they are in other sectors like manufacturing and
> housing.  I don't have much for hard statistics to back up either of these
> claims, so obviously, take them with a grain of salt.
>
> I would imagine, however, that if my point is true, that future fundraisers
> might not be so lucky, as the tech sector will probably experience a similar
> decline over the next 18 months.

Then again, everyone hurting might be another reason to donate: "er,
what if Wikipedia is hurting too? ohnoes, I don't want to lose that
too!"  We seem to try to evoke that feeling in people by "Wikipedia:
Making Life Easier" and "Wikipedia is there when you need it -- now it
needs you".

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023