[Foundation-l] A local chapter without Wikimedians

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 22:27:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > I think it is not appropriate that Wikimedia Brasil is listed (and
> > described) as a non-profit organization if it is not yet incorporated:
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Local_chapters.
> >

> I disagree, it's a list of approved chapters -- WMBR is approved and
> is therefore listed.

I guess the issue is that usually organisations need to "earn" the title of
non-profit (by being accepted as such by the courts/authorities), so a
non-incorporated group of people recognised as WM Brasil should not be
branded as a non-profit until they are actually incorporated, as it is
misleading.

Bence Damokos