[Foundation-l] A local chapter without Wikimedians

Luiz Augusto lugusto at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 17:20:01 UTC 2008

Replying to three messages at the same time

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Thomas de Souza Buckup <
thomasdesouzabuckup at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> 3.     In October a group of less than 5 people (including Beria Lima,
> Porantim and Luis Augusto) decided to make new suggestions for the text of
> the already approved bylaws. The discussion of this alternative content was
> opened on Meta<
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Brasil/Estatuto_2>,
> but very little people participated so far (less than 10 people, including
> some from the mailing-list) and the opinions on the matter are still
> divided
> among them.

Thomas, you have forgotten to say that this "group of less than 5 people" is
about to 40% of all that are engaged on Wikimedia Brasil. Please remember
that the page http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Brasil/Participanteslists
the interested people on creating a brazilian local chapter, as the
header in Portuguese language says it. Unfortunately the amount of
interested peoples is only the amount of supporters of the idea that having
a local chapter can be a good addition, not the ones that are working to
make it.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...] I don't see that we have any
> serious problem then, this dispute simply means that more time needs
> to be spent discussing the bylaws and achieving a consensus on them
> before things move forwards (it's unfortunate that they were sent to
> ChapCom before this was achieved, but it's not the end of the world,
> you can start the process with ChapCom again from scratch if you need
> to, I'm sure they won't mind).

This is what we need: to stop the current attempt and start it again. The
key problem there was the non-wikimedian group progressing on it with no one
from Wikimedia projects helping it, assuring that the views and needs of
projects in Portuguese language gets figured.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Luiz, have there been any responses from members of WM-Brasil indicating
> their desire to engage on this list (or on any list, I suppose) on this
> dispute? If they join the discussion on Foundation-l, perhaps the mediation
> of Florence or Jimmy (or Michael or Andrew) could help you come to an
> understanding.

I've notified the discussion list in 20 November about talking this subject
there (
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediabr-l/2008-November/000343.html)
and again at 24 November after starting this tread (
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediabr-l/2008-November/000387.html
)

Presumably we will need a mediation. Thomas de Souza Buckup don't reply to
anything on the brazilian discussion list (only there, foundation-l) and
Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton keeps making personal attacks instead of talking
about the subject.

[[:m:User:555]]