[Foundation-l] A local chapter without Wikimedians

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 15:40:06 UTC 2008

2008/11/24 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>:

> Whether something can be done from afar or not... Beria, Luiz and Porantim
> are entitled to have the discussion focus at least initially on the specific
> problem they point out. I suspect that there is very little that can be done
> - the Foundation, and ChapCom, have almost no control over the operations of
> any chapter. Even withdrawing permission to use the Wikimedia-related
> intellectual property (without prejudging the need for that in this case, of
> course) would need to be backed up in court in Brasil if a chapter refused
> to comply.

I understand that chapter agreements (certainly the WMUKv1 one)
usually include provision where either side can withdraw from the
trademark agreement with a few months' notice. Though of course if an
organisation wasn't happy with that provision being invoked they may
well be able to argue the point in court.

- d.