[Foundation-l] Signal languages Wikimedia projects

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Mon Nov 24 00:58:15 UTC 2008

Chad hett schreven:
> However, we do have a policy (for better or worse) that currently states
> that:
> "The proposal has a sufficient number of living native speakers to form a
> viable
> community and audience." [1]
>
> I've yet to see any information indicating that SignWriting is a primary
> mode
> of communication for large groups of people, much less their native method
> of communication.
>
> -Chad

That sentence refers to the language. The language has to have a
sufficient number of oral speakers (or signers). It doesn't say anything
about the the number of people actually able to read and write in that
language. And this configuration does make sense, in my opinion. If we
have a hypothetical language with one million oral speakers, but only a
handful of people able to write, it will still be useful to create a
written encyclopedia. Cause if you start to teach the one million
analphabets how to read, they immediately have written content
available. If there is no written content available, there is no
incentive to learn to read. It's a chicken or egg dilemma. Why are there
so few books in Breton? Cause there are so few people able to read
Breton. Why are there so few people able to read Breton? Cause there is
so few content available. (among other reasons) It's a self-energizing
effect. The more content there is, the more interest there will be.

Marcus Buck