[Foundation-l] Signal languages Wikimedia projects

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 07:54:00 UTC 2008

The whole situation has some very interesting questions.

- Hasn't SW been copyrighted in the US?
- Many people claim that all deaf are literate in dominate languages
of their area, but while this is partially true (almost all deaf in,
say, the US are functionally literate), it's also true that many
people are much more proficient and understand their signed language
better than the written form of any spoken language. There's more to
that discussion, I think, though.
- There are many alternative methods for writing signed languages.
Most people who sign don't write it at all, however.
- How will the current trend of parents of deaf and HoH children
favoring cochlear implants affect the future of ASL? (This question is
interesting, but has little impact on an American Sign Language
Wikipedia in the short-term)

In general, I have a positive view of the request.

Mark