[Foundation-l] wikipedia.de shut down

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 19 08:49:59 UTC 2008

George Herbert wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Who wants to go poke Mugabe, maybe we will get even more money?
>>
> I appreciate the motivation, but please let's not go there.
>
> The possible issues have some rather serious downsides, ranging from
> "WMF not being seen as an independent neutral broker of accurate
> information" to "playing geopolitics for keeps is dangerous".

It also needs to be remembered that the people in Germany who may have
responded to this incident had the money to give in the first place. The
people in Zimbabwe who might be responsive to such a situation are
faci8ng hyper-inflation and are unlikely to have the funds to give.

Even if we can get past the neutrality and fiscal issue we still don't
have a Zimbabwean chapter to reap the benefits.

Ec