[Foundation-l] wikipedia.de shut down

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 17:45:36 UTC 2008

> 26 thousand Euro in the last 40 hours. Normal figures appear to be
> 3000 EUR per day. That's quite impressive. I wonder whether there is
> an actual net gain.

Do we have statistics on how many people actually access the German
Wikipedia via the wikipedia.de domain? If it's not many, then there's
really no loss (although most of the donations are probably coming
from people seeing the temporary page, so there must be some people
using it!). I can't see how it could be enough to make it a net loss
overall - people can still find the site via google, etc., and the
page they've put up to replace the forwarding includes the URL anyway
(although they've avoided making it a link, for obvious reasons, but
hopefully most readers know what to do with a plain text URL!).