[Foundation-l] Fundraising banner on the french wikipedia

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Thu Nov 13 17:08:29 UTC 2008

Chad hett schreven:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Waerth <waerth at asianet.co.th> wrote:
>

>> Welcome to the wikibureaucracy Anthere. It gets worse and worse. Also on
>> the projects the bureaucracy tends to want to stick to procedures and
>> rules they created :( The times of be bold and do something is long
>> over. It is now pencillpushing all the way ....
>>
>> Waerth
>>

> It's this defeatist attitude that has made being bold go out of style.
> Screw the bureaucracy, I say. Shred the rulebooks (or at least
> delete practically everything from the project namespace) and
> do what is right rather than what is popular or follows the rules to
> their letter.
>
> -Chad
Autocracy has been successful for millenia, democracy prooves to be
successful since more than 200 years and communism made it 70 years and
some communist systems are still around. But do you know any stable and
successful system of anarchy? I don't know any. A system without
structures cannot be stable.
I too don't like bureaucracy and I would love a system, that is based on
common sense only. But that implies that common sense exists and is
widespread. "Do what is right rather than what is popular" If its
popular obviously people think it is right. That will inevitably lead to
edit warring.
You can't live without rules. Rules are needed. Instead of lamenting
about the rules (or planning anti-rulist revolutions ;-) ) we should
rather spend our time on improving and optimizing the rules. Get rid of
rules which have no justified purpose and create new rules if they have
a justified purpose.

Rules limit your freedom, but it's the rules that create and ensure your
freedom in the first place.

Marcus Buck