[Foundation-l] Donation banner and strongly negative reactions

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Sun Nov 9 22:08:27 UTC 2008

On 9 Nov 2008, at 20:54, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Walter Vermeir
> <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:
>> It could be useful to include on the donation page something like;
>>
>> "Every donation, how small it may be is welcome ... but know that by
>> donation only $1 means we get only X% of your money after
>> transactions
>> fees. If you donate $5 then we receive X% of your donation."
>
> Most of the really tiny donations (especially in USD) are criminals
> attempting to verify stolen credit cards. There is no point in begging
> them to donate more. :)
[citation needed]

> For the non-fraudsters use JS to set a currency dependent minimum
> which makes sense for the typical users of the currency.  Trying to
> get people to understand paypal fees is just too much complexity, and
> is likely to just bring crys about why we don't offer a lower overhead
> option (I think the google payment service is less costly than paypal,
> for example).

If you explain paypal fees clearly as they'll apply to that
transaction (i.e. taking into account the currency), then I'm sure
99% of people will be able to understand them just fine. However, the
ideal would be to use lower overhead options, as you say - is there
nothing around that has a low to zero overhead fee for non-profits/
charities?

Mike