[Foundation-l] Donation banner and strongly negative reactions

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Sun Nov 9 19:54:14 UTC 2008

Robert Rohde schreef:
> As I understand, it donations less than $0.30 go entirely to PayPal.
> There is no cost to the WMF if the donation is less than $0.30, but
> there is also no gain.
>
> -Robert Rohde

It could be useful to include on the donation page something like;

"Every donation, how small it may be is welcome ... but know that by
donation only $1 means we get only X% of your money after transactions
fees. If you donate $5 then we receive X% of your donation."

I do not know the current fees but it think for $1 is must be around
$0,60 to the WMF and $0,40 paypal. So 40% lost, 60% of your donation
received.  For $5 that is that a smaller part that goes to paypal.

That could motivated people for not donating a very small amount but
give a bit more.

Btw;
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:ContributionHistory

these numbers are those not the source amounts before the transactions fees?

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community