[Foundation-l] Donation banner and strongly negative reactions

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 19:49:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I dunno, with dismissible watchlist notices I often dismiss them then
> wish I could get them back later. Perhaps I'm weird (though I also
> know enough to flush the cookie).
>
> I thought part of the point of the big persistent banner was that
> after someone has seen it a few dozen times they'll eventually click
> through to see what it's about. ::shrugs::

Sorry for the double post, there was another point I wanted to raise:

If we offer a dismiss then discover that it slaughters donation rates
what do we do? Restoring the notice a few days later would likely
offend people who dismissed it.  In my experience the public is
totally fine with the banner that lacks a dismiss, but I expect they'd
be less fine with a dismiss button that ignored their request.

There is probably a solution to this that doesn't preclude offering
the dismiss button, but we should have it ready just in case.