[Foundation-l] Donation banner and strongly negative reactions

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 16:24:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Bryan Tong Minh
<bryan.tongminh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Gerard Meijssen
> <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  As to negative reactions to the fund raiser, they are a tradition.
>> Thanks,
>>       GerardM
>>

> But to this extend I have only seen it with the Virgin stuff. And yes,
> it is ugly and certainly not very convincing to give money.

I can only assume you weren't around at the start of last year's
fundraiser when the scrolling marquee of death made people want to
storm the WMF with pitchforks and torches.

By comparison, the complaints this year seems tame.

That's not an excuse not to listen to editor complaints though.  As
discussed at Meta, collapsing the thing should do more to surpress it
[1], and banner is somewhat bigger and more obnoxious than it needs to
be.

Fact remains though that it does seem to be generating substantially
more income than the early phase of last year's drive.

-Robert Rohde

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising_2008/design_drafts#Collapsed_version_needs_to_be_minimal