[Foundation-l] Social networking (was: Analysis of lists statistics: community in decline)

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:13:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:13 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see any reason for alarm in the data that we do have.

According to statistics which you gave (btw, thanks for pointing to
them, I didn't know where to find them):

> http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikispecial/EN/ChartsWikipediaCOMMONS.htm

Commons is in a constant and significant decrease since May 2007.

> http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikispecial/EN/ChartsWikipediaINCUBATOR.htm

In not so strong decrease since January 2008 (but we don't have data
after May 2008)

> http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikispecial/EN/ChartsWikipediaSOURCES.htm

Old Wikisource is not so big project and it is not possible to make
precise conclusions.

> http://stats.wikimedia.org/wiktionary/EN/ChartsWikipediaZZ.htm

All Wiktionaries together stay well, this is true.

> http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikisource/EN/ChartsWikipediaZZ.htm
> http://wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:ProofreadPage_Statistics

It seems that all Wikisources together had begun decrease at the
beginning of 2008. However, according to the second link, it seem that
they stays well. (BTW, I would like to see a short explanation of the
significance of ProofreadPage extension and pages which used them.)

BTW, again, number articles *will* raise except there are big
problems. One new page per month means that there is one article more
and somewhat bigger database. I explained in one of the previous
emails [1] why some data are more relevant than others. (If you have
objections to this approach, please let me know what are the errors of
the method.)

And, again, I would be really happy to see that I am wrong. I didn't
spend significant time in analysis just because I like to spread
defeatism; but to point to the problem.

[1] - http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2008-October/046831.html