[Foundation-l] GFDL 1.3 Release

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 3 23:00:16 UTC 2008

2008/11/3 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:
> Not remotely acceptable. We accept duel licensing of images because we
> already have to carry a significant overhead in terms of juggling
> copyright conditions due to other causes. You want to add that
> situation to text? That is not a good idea. Duel licenses are at best
> a necessary evil. There is no benefit in extending the situation to
> text. A clean switchover must be the objective.

While I tend to agree with you, the FSF has required us to agree to
these compromise dual licensing terms before releasing the FDL 1.3.
This is a separate agreement between the FSF and WMF. We'll proceed to
a referendum under these terms.

I do believe that this dual-licensing compromise should ideally allow
both dual-licensing proponents and dual-licensing opponents to support
the switch. A compromise always will leave everyone somewhat unhappy.
So I hope that neither side will dig their feet in and help us move
forward. We can revisit the dual-licensing situation in a year or two
together with the FSF and see if it still is needed.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation