[Foundation-l] Social networking (was: Analysis of lists statistics: community in decline)

David Moran fordmadoxfraud at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 21:18:00 UTC 2008

I mostly agree with Gregory that the creation of a social media framework
within Wikipedia would greatly increase the workload of some Wikipedians, in
a number of ways, while making only a very, very tenuous claim to the
increase of our productivity.

The fact that the "low hanging fruit" is all mostly picked is indeed a
systemic problem which naturally is reducing our stats, but I think the real
problem is the consequence of that, which is that the early pickers have
formed a significant core of experienced users, which is good in a sense,
but also bad in that it raises the bar for all new users.  What we SHOULD be
talking about is not social media, but more robust tutorials and
walkthroughs for new users as they go through their first edits, and their
first created articles, &c.

David Moran