[Foundation-l] GNU FDL 1.3 released!

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 21:15:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler at gmail.com> wrote:
>      The work must have been added to a public wiki (or some other
> kind of web site where the general public could review and edit the
> materials) before November 1, 2008.
>
> All FDL-covered material added to Wikipedia before November 1, 2008
> satisfies these conditions.$
>
> --
> What...extraordinary timing. Only 3 days worth of work lost...

Nope, no work lost. Look at the passage again:

"An MMC is "eligible for relicensing" if it is licensed under this
License, and if all works that were first published under this License
somewhere other than this MMC, and subsequently incorporated in whole
or in part into the MMC, (1) had no cover texts or invariant sections,
and (2) were thus incorporated prior to November 1, 2008."

The only work that couldn't be relicensed is work that was GFDL but
not on the wiki prior to November 1st. Work that is on the wiki is
able to be transferred at any time prior to August 2009.

1) Work that is created or edited on the wiki at any time can be transferred
2) Work that was released under the GFDL, but wasn't on an MMC prior
to November 1st 2008 cannot be transferred.
3) Work that was released under the GFDL, and was on an MMC prior to
November 1st can be transferred

So the only work that we can't transfer to CC-BY-SA is GFDL work from
elsewhere on the internet that is being moved to a wiki. We don't lose
any work that our volunteers are creating on the wiki, we only lose
the ability to reuse GFDL'd content from other non-MMC websites that
isn't already duplicated on the wiki.

--Andrew Whitworth