[Foundation-l] Fwd: ISO 639 JAC decision re mo/mol

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 20:44:54 UTC 2008

This has been a problem in the past. Everybody with a complaint or
problem that is language-related wants to take it to LangCom for a
ruling. However, LangCom only has the power to make decisions about
new projects and new languages, as far as I know... so it is another
situation where people are looking in the wrong place.

Of course, it would be logical for a language committee to handle all
language-related affairs, but that is not the way it is. Although
members of the LangCom may have opinions about, say, Serbo-Croatian or
Moldovan or various other pre-LangCom linguistic debates, they don't
have a mandate to make any sort of binding ruling on those matters,
unfortunately.

Mark