[Foundation-l] Social networking (was: Analysis of lists statistics: community in decline)

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 19:56:36 UTC 2008

Hoi,
The fact of the matter is that on many social networks there are special
interest groups of Wikimedians in one form or another. I have many friends
in several networks that are fellow wikimedians and it makes better sense to
have them in one environment, an environment that is shared by us all. Now
Facebook, Myspace Hyves Orcutt LinkedIn Plaxo are all environments where
Wikimedians share my network and are friends.. They do not know each other
because these networks do not connect.

When we just have something that "just works" for now, it would be great.
Yes, it needs to be a WMF network. Now once we start this, we can help build
our own social network and continue functionality like a "skype" .... I am
sure that people like Anthony, Gregory or Genie will love to ensure that
this is based all on relevant Open Source and Open Standards.. :)

I am sure that it will prove to be a distraction to some, but at the same
time it will create a pull for new people.. THAT would be a good thing..
When our software scales and works in countries like Nepal, Togo and Angola
as well, I am sure it will prove to be worth our while.
Thanks,
       GerardM

NB The question is how to deal with licenses for the content that is part of
the social networking :) Now let this not stop us having social networking..
:)