[Foundation-l] GNU FDL 1.3 released!

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 18:03:16 UTC 2008

2008/11/3 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> 2008/11/3 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>> It's nothing short of absurd to have the deadline two days before the
>> license was released.
>
> Not at all. It's a deliberate design decision to make it impossible to
> bulk-import and  relicense other people's FDL works, e.g. FDL-licensed
> software manuals, while not affecting legitimate transactions that
> have happened prior to the relicensing window of opportunity.

That argument works if the deadline were today, it doesn't justify
having it 2 days ago. If the deadline was today and this had been
announced properly telling everyone to stop including content from
elsewhere in our projects, we wouldn't have a problem. As it is, we
have 2 days in which there was no way we could have done anything, and
the only announcement we got from someone that happened to see the new
version and post here and then it was up to us to realise the
consequences.