[Foundation-l] "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 21:12:12 UTC 2008

(Note, I said approvals and development. The lack of involvement by
ChapCom in the active development of chapters is even more concerning
than the lack of transparency in the approvals process.)

Well for one thing, when I first started questioning the idea of why
there were no US chapters either nationally or subnationally (this was
before the Pennsylvania chapter started) i was told that it simply
wasn't going to happen, that the Chapters Committee could not decide
what they wanted to do, and that in fact there was direct opposition
on the committee towards certain countries or regions forming chapters.

Currently there are only 18 chapters (excluding UK). There should be
far more, and I seriously suspect the Chapters Committee is the problem.

WM Venezuela still drafting bylaws since November 2006
WM Canada has been "finishing up by-laws" since March.
WM Hrvatske (Croatia I assume? The page says something about Zagreb)
has been translating bylaws since December last year.
WM India still in bylaws discussion since November of last year.
WM Norge listed as awaiting approval since July.
WM Portugal listed as "bylaws ready, discussing how to constitute"
since March.
WM NYC still figuring things out since Jan. 07,
WM Penn. still listed as figuring stuff out since June 07.
WM DC has not heard a peep from the chapters committee since May.

Nine chapters languishing in development for an unacceptable length of
time. This is not to say that the chapters themselves hold no
responsibility, but I've seen no evidence of the Chapters Committee
proactively reaching out to say "What can we do to help you guys get
moving". I suspect if they did, we'd have quite a few more chapters.

A couple of Wikimeetups ago, I discussed with some people what their
interests in developing a chapter were. Quite a few people expressed
no interest, either because they believed the Chapters Committee was
unable or unwilling to help, or because they simply believed that it
was impossible for them to get a chapter approved and they didn't want
to waste the effort. The fact that people even think that sort of
thing speaks for itself that the Chapters Committee has failed on some
level.

The Local Chapter FAQ has a "Do not translate until ChapCom has had an
opportunity to update it" message since Feb. 2006.

The Chapter Creation Guide has not been updated in over a year.
In over two years of existence, the line that says "The details of
this process are given in the [[Chapter approval process]] document."
are STILL a red link. So prospective chapters have ZERO idea of what
the approval process is.

These are just some of the criticisms of the chapters process.

-Dan