[Foundation-l] "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 18:48:19 UTC 2008

2008/11/2 Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com>:
> Really? Cause I didn't get that message at all. What I got out of it
> was, "The board intends to consolidate the power of the existing big
> name chapters, and make some gesture of including them on the board,
> but we're actually not addressing substantively the issue of making it
> easy for them to actually form and be approve."
>
> There's no excuse for blaming the chapters or the people in them when
> the system for developing and approving them is fundamentally flawed.

I wouldn't put it quite like that, but the WMF board really did need
to give the chapters some kind of structure to work with (flying all
the chapter boards to Wikimania and arranging a big meeting would have
been one way). People have been saying this ever since the idea of
chapter seats was first announced. Chapters sorting things out amongst
themselves without support from the central organisation was never
going to go well...