[Foundation-l] (easy) SUL questions

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Sat May 31 20:36:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello knowledgeable people!
>
> I'm trying to write about unified login for a larger text about
> Wikimedia and wanted to double-check my understanding of the process:
>
> 1) is this text currently correct? What should be added to it?
> "At this time, you must create an account on for each new project you
> wish to work on. This is changing with the introduction in mid-2008 of
> single-user login, where users can link their existing accounts across
> all Wikimedia projects."
>
> 2) in future, will people be able to create just one account on a
> project and be able to log in with it on all of the projects? Or will
> new users still have to manually create their account (using the same
> name) on each wiki they wish to work on?

Currently, they just:
1. Create an account on any wiki.
2. Visit Special:MergeAccount and follow the instructions (this merges
their accounts and creates a global one)
3. Profit
   3.1. the ability to log-in to any wiki with the same userdata
without creating a new account
   3.2. "global session" type thing where with one log-in, you are
logged into most of the wiki-sites at once.

> 3) After SUL is fully deployed, when users create a new account (on,
> say, the english wikipedia) will that name automatically be 'reserved'
> for use on all Wikimedia wikis? [if so, when will this happen?]

I'm pretty sure that the answers for 3 are "yes" and "now"

> 3) is there a preferred name for SUL yet? Single-user login? Unified
> login? Others?

I think those are all used interchangeably, but we use "global user"
in the software. <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:GlobalUsers>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023