[Foundation-l] (easy) SUL questions

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat May 31 20:17:45 UTC 2008

Hello knowledgeable people!

I'm trying to write about unified login for a larger text about
Wikimedia and wanted to double-check my understanding of the process:

1) is this text currently correct? What should be added to it?
"At this time, you must create an account on for each new project you
wish to work on. This is changing with the introduction in mid-2008 of
single-user login, where users can link their existing accounts across
all Wikimedia projects."

2) in future, will people be able to create just one account on a
project and be able to log in with it on all of the projects? Or will
new users still have to manually create their account (using the same
name) on each wiki they wish to work on?

3) After SUL is fully deployed, when users create a new account (on,
say, the english wikipedia) will that name automatically be 'reserved'
for use on all Wikimedia wikis? [if so, when will this happen?]

3) is there a preferred name for SUL yet? Single-user login? Unified
login? Others?

Thanks in advance, and feel free to send me edits/comments off-list. :)
-- phoebe