[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Bot policy for all wikis

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Fri May 30 09:01:24 UTC 2008

2008/5/29 Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com>:
> 2008/5/28 Jon <scream at datascreamer.com>:
>
>> We could just not get wrapped around the axle about sorting interwiki
>> links.  I don't think it is a large issue.  I can be convinced otherwise
>> however.
>
> +1, as I believe the hip young things say these days.
>
> Would it perhaps be simpler to have two kinds of interwiki bots? The
> cross-wiki ones can deal with adding and removing links, in
> time-honoured tradition, and the local ones can just crawl through
> recent changes fixing the order in whatever way is accepted on that
> project...

That would hardly be a solution, I think. Why use two bots where one
could do the same thing? The solution I think is to simply tell the
bot operators what order to use on what wiki. And that solution is
already being implemented for several years now.

For the bots that change order to work correctly, the bot code needs
to know the order. If the bot code knows the order, I see no reason
not to use that information. If the bots use the correct order, there
is no problem to be solved.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644 -- Skype: a_engels