[Foundation-l] Global groups

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:56:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 7:25 AM, White Cat
<wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I would want to see is the granting of global adminship for a selective
> list of wikis. For example wikis with less than 1000 articles. it isn't
> stewards job to RC patrol inactive/tiny wikis.

Maybe full adminship, maybe just rollback+delete/undelete. Also, I
think that users should get such right via simple process, same as RfA
for Meta admins.

> I hole heartedly support global checkuser rights to stewards. Complicating
> our ability to deal with interwiki trolls, vandals and other pets is of no
> benefit to us. Stewards will be more than pleased to let local checkusers to
> handle non-interwiki tasks. Let's minimize the bureaucracy for a change.

I support global CU rights for all CUs. All of those persons are
identified to WMF, which means that all of them are trusting
contributors. So, I don't see a reason why not to give them global
rights, as well as a software possibility to compare instantly edits
on all wikis. This may help a lot in fight against cross-wiki abusive
users.

> I also support selective global bureaucratship for wikis who either do not
> have a bureaucrat or the bureaucrat they have is inactive (does not have any
> edit in the past +30 days). Stewards handle bureaucratship related tasks on
> such wikis anyways.

I think that we need only global bureaucrats for [interwiki] bots for
now. (For both: granting and removing access to the permissions.) They
may be chosen at the similar way as anti-vandal fighters.

Giving admin/bureaucrat/CU/etc rights is still a completely acceptable
task for stewards. For example, I am subscribed to Requests for
permissions via Atom feed. During the first days of my stewardship I
wanted to do promptly my job. However, as I had 1 hour of refresh
time, I was usually too late for any task.

*But*, if we decide to have some other kinds of global permissions, it
is possible that we will need bureaucrats for more tasks. +10-20
stewards per year may be not sustainable growth.