[Foundation-l] Global groups

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Wed May 28 02:32:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the addition! Of course, I didn't intend to make an alarm.
>
> And thanks for the detailed information from the next email.

you're welcome. And also I'd like to point that global rights are not meant
to be for stewards only.

Basically the idea behind gobal groups/rights is that once a group is
created and an user is added to it, that user gets the right everywhere.

Example hypothetical use: a "global cleaner" groups.  Which thanks to the
fine-grain control on the above list, would be possible to create giving
+rollback  +delete only (without all the other dozen <=== ) marked items
above. And then users added to "global cleaners" could revert and delete
vandalism on any wiki but wouldn't be able to edit mediawiki pages nor block
users.

That's just an example of how globalgroups/rights are intented to be use.

So far *only one* global group exists, stewards, which allows them to use
the tools they already use. But yes, community discussion needs to happen
regarding what other global groups (having what global rights) could be
created or are needed