[Foundation-l] Policy modification (was possible reconsideration)

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Tue May 27 12:38:37 UTC 2008

Ziko van Dijk hett schreven:
> I wonder how many of those who advocate an Ancient Greek Wikipedia
> really speak that language, at least at level -3.

That's not the point. I, for example, advocate for classical languages,
but I am Greek-0. The point is: even if there would be one million
willing contributors on level 5, they would not be allowed to create the
project under the current policy. I don't advocate the creation of
projects with (too) few able speakers supporting it, but if there are
enough willing contributors they shouldn't be rejected. Therefore I
created the page <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Slomox/Languages>
outlining my thoughts on useful prerequisites. It doesn't discriminate
against any type of language based on its history, but it still
disallows for "useless" projects by defining some exclusion terms (those
exclusion terms based on the ability to create a useful resource). Would
my rules have been policy, they wouldn't have allowed the creation of
the Sater Frisian Wikipedia. Cause my rules advocate for three able
speakers active in the test project and according to your numbers there
where only two (one M and one 4, but the M user wouldn't count, cause
the rules ask for activity too). A Greek Wikipedia too shouldn't be
created, until there is a sufficient community of sufficiently able
speakers in my opinion. But it at least should be possible and not be
outlawed a priori!

Marcus Buck
Slomox