[Foundation-l] Policy modification (was possible reconsideration)

Jesse Plamondon-Willard pathoschild at gmail.com
Mon May 26 17:30:17 UTC 2008

Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that if the will of the community goes against the decision of
> the committee, perhaps it is time for the committee to reconsider.

I agree that community consensus on the policy should override
committee consensus. However, there was no community consensus; we had
a dozen or two people voicing conflicting opinions and proposals about
whether to keep, remove, or replace that clause in the policy. Where
there is a complete lack of community direction on that clause, I
think it's within the committee's purpose to maintain the current
policy.

If we were to strike out policy for which there is no community
consensus, the result would be the same because we'd be forced to stop
processing ancient languages until we had a policy under which to do
so. However, I think holding requests in limbo indefinitely is a bad
practice.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)