[Foundation-l] Policy modification (was possible reconsideration)

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:00:27 UTC 2008

You paint it as a question of one or the other. Either you listen to
the concerns of people, OR you "do what you aim to do", as if it is
impossible to do both.

This is a bad premise. I would hope that within the organizational
structure of Wikimedia, there would be room for sharing ideas, and for
some degree of controlled democracy. In many ways, the LC is doing a
great job.

That does not mean that the LC should be completely closed to outside
input. There should always be room for discussion and serious
reconsideration of policies, and as of yet I think most people on this
list would agree with the assessment that you do not appear to have
listened to a thing anybody had to say about the policy, instead
defending it without stopping to consider it on its merits. Of course,
it is fine if you support the existing policy, but such a position of
supporting the status quo should be reasoned and well thought-out,
something that a couple of people have provided already with their
positions here in support of the status quo, but that you have not
with your circular reasoning and continued unwillingness to lend your
ear to the concerns of mere non-LC civilians.

Mark