[Foundation-l] possible reconsideration, unifying criterion

Jesse Plamondon-Willard pathoschild at gmail.com
Sun May 25 23:28:33 UTC 2008

Andrew Dalby <akdalby at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to come along late but I think a correction is needed here: so far as I
> can discover, the exclusion of ancient languages was not proposed through the
> community and was not discussed by the subcommittee. I could find no record that
> the amendment by which it was introduced was even noticed by the subcommittee.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong here!

Hello Andrew,

The policy itself was originally passed through the community, and a
slightly modified version was approved by the subcommittee. The
amendment excluding ancient languages was later agreed upon by the
subcommittee (there is no community consensus either way on the
amendment).

You can read subcommittee discussion at
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Language_subcommittee/Archives> (those
archives are opt-in, so messages from two members are censored).

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)