[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in danger oflosing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sat May 24 04:45:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 6:07 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/5/22 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:

>>> In a civil action, being seen to play nice is very important indeed
>>> and gets you lots of points.
>>
>> Shouldn't the WMF play nice with everyone, not just those who sue it?
>
> When doing so doesn't compromise our goals, yes.

I think that's an important point, and one perhaps forgotten a little
too often. Our ultimate goal is an accurate, NPOV work. If we can
avoid bruising feelings while writing such a work, great. If bruising
feelings is an inevitable consequence of following accuracy and NPOV,
and not doing so would compromise those things, we, to put it bluntly,
should bruise them. Unfortunately, sometimes, as the old saying goes,
the truth hurts. That doesn't mean, when it's well-sourced and
appropriate for inclusion, that we should not tell it.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.