[Foundation-l] FYI: Welcome to this years Wikimania site: Egypt, the land with cultur ministers with special taste in history, culture and all the good things

Cary Bass cbass at wikimedia.org
Fri May 23 16:49:52 UTC 2008

I know it's not the same thing (but I had to say it), but I'd have
absolutely no problem visiting Cuba in spite of my State department's
objections...

Cary

Harel Cain wrote:
| It's a matter of convincing people to disregard their own government's
| formal travel advisory (which as I said is very clear about Egypt at
| this time; would Americans for example travel to  a country that the
| State Department strongly advises to avoid?). I know of two local
| wikipedians who are still planning to go. We tried organizing a bigger
| group at our local village pump but people are naturally rather
| hesitant to go to a place where they (justifiably?) feel they might be
| at risk, or just feel very uncomfortable or unwanted.
| Israel's biggest newspaper Yedioth Ahronot runs an article today about
| an organized tour to Egypt of Israelis of Egyptian origin, which got a
| very "cold shoulder" from Egyptian authorities.
|
| I don't want to turn this into a political debate about the
| intricacies of the Israeli-Egyptian cold peace, though. I just wanted
| to put the Egyptian minister's expressions in context.
|
| I still hope to make it to Alexandria.
|
| Harel
|
| On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com>
wrote:
|> Harel;
|>
|> What would it take to get you guys to come?

- --
Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
Foundation today: http://donate.wikimedia.org
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Phone: 415.839.6885 x 601
Fax: 415.882.0495