[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WikiEN-l] School shooting threats

Brad Patrick bradp.wmf at gmail.com
Thu May 22 20:49:33 UTC 2008

Incidentally, people interested in the phenomena should read our article on
the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

and in particular the referenced articles on risk assessment and how to
conceptualize risk.  In terms of averting disaster, one of the best things
you can do as an individual is actually *pay attention* to people in your
everyday life.  Especially in the school environment, simply interact with
people who might otherwise avoid interaction altogether.  Intervening with a
friendly hello to the "invisible loner" is a minor gesture - inconsequential
to you - but may have a butterfly effect on the
depressed/disenchanted/isolated youth.  Is anything enough to prevent an
incident of this kind?  We don't know.  We can't know.  But I think this
community agrees that doing nothing is not an option.