[Foundation-l] "seeall" privilege Was Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in dangeroflosing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu May 22 17:53:05 UTC 2008

Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
>> From: Yaroslav M. Blanter
>>
>>> For the record, on ru.wp current arbcom there are three sysops and two
>>> members who are not sysops. We have never had a sysop-only arbcom so
>>> far.
>>>
>> And the non-sysop members never need e.g. to see deleted pages?
>>
> I have never been an arbcom member myself, but I assume if there is a case
> on restoring an article, another sysop (for instance, another arbcom
> member) can restore an article to the user space so that it becomes
> available. For sure, they do not have any sysop privileges: For instance,
> just today one of our non-sysop arbcom members placed a request to block a
> vandal at the sysop request page.
Seeing a page should not require restoring it.  There would be even less
need to restore the entire history.  Passive viewing will often be
occasioned by what is happening on an entirely different page.  For
example, when two pages were merged was there anything on the deleted
page that was omitted on the survivor?  If no, a simple viewing will end
of the situation, and the entire effort will be over in a minute.  A
process that involves a temporary restoration could easily take a couple
days.

Ec