[Foundation-l] FYI: Welcome to this years Wikimania site: Egypt, the land with cultur ministers with special taste in history, culture and all the good things

Mido mido.architect at gmail.com
Thu May 22 02:53:36 UTC 2008

Hello all,

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Mathias Schindler <
mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Brotherhood person: Egyptian libraries are full of Israeli books!
> > Culture Minister: No they're not!
> > Brotherhood person: Yes, they're full of them.
> > Culture Minister: There isn't one Israeli book in an Egyptian library.
> >  If any are found, I'll burn them myself!
>
> To sum it up, he expresses basically the opposite of what Wikimedia stands
> for.

Summing it up based upon on media sources that doesn't mention the whole
thing and its follow-ups is really a bad thing to do (I don't think you can
read Arabic from your words)

Farouk Hosni is nominated to be the director of the UNESCO; the conference
in the parliament was to give him support locally, while the news spreading
around like this one is to
what happened then according to your Arabic source and many other sources is
largely what Pharos has interpreted
"a member of the Muslim Brotherhood claimed that Israeli books is found in
Egyptian libraries,
Hosni replied with an overstatement (as he later said) that he would burn
such books if existed, and that was not meant that he would actually burn
Jewish books but it was just to confirm the non-existence of these books"

no way the statement of him was meant to actually burn Jewish books in that
general sense the media have been trying to impose on the issue. the guy is
against cultural normalization until a just solution is done between the
Palestinians and Israelis, that said doesn't mean that he will go for a
search and destroy for Jewish literature or heritage, actually, quite the
opposite is actually happening in Egypt. Jewish temples are being restored
in Cairo and Alexandria under the supervision of the Culture Ministry.
and he calls to translate books from Hebrew into Arabic as in Israel, Arabic
books are being translated into Hebrew
please don't over estimate such statements, we don't burn books nor people
here in Egypt.

Best regards,
Mohamed Ibrahim [Mido]

--