[Foundation-l] School shooting threats

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu May 22 02:12:23 UTC 2008

Nathan wrote:
> While vague threats to celebrities and "I'ma kill
> Joe, he's a dickwad" are often reverted and ignored as simple and unserious
> vandalism, school threats have a unique nature in public sentiment and
> require a unique position in policy.
I don't agree with this leap of logic. They only "require" a unique
position in policy if your only consideration is public relations. If
your consideration also includes morality, then they require quite the
opposite---carefully considering the situation and making an informed
judgment as to the pros and cons of various courses of action. A policy
that requires all school threats to be reported would probably be the
best policy for cover-your-ass PR in hindsight if anything happened, but
it would certainly not be ethical to ruin children's lives over
obviously not-credible threats.

-Mark