[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] School shooting threats

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Thu May 22 00:03:48 UTC 2008

I'm familiar with the three failed attempts, and actually helped to fail
WP:TOV myself. What sets a policy specifically related to school threats
apart is that it, well, specifically addresses a significant element of
threats that has a much higher public profile than any other sort of threat
we might encounter. If I remember, WP:SUICIDE does not mention school
threats at all - even in passing along with other sorts of threats. It seems
mostly, as its shortcut suggests, related to threats of suicide. The most
recently proposed policy (at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:School_threats) does not attempt to
require action, only encourage it.

If an essay is the most that will ever be achievable, so be it. I for one
would not like to be the one being interviewed when someone from the Times
or USA Today says "Can you explain why Wikipedia editors don't think
reporting threats against schools to the police is a good idea?"
At the least WP:SUICIDE should also be shortcutted by WP:THREATS and it
should deal more specifically with the various types of threats, including
threats of violence at schools.

Nathan